Monday, December 6, 2010

Sick Brew

Well, I'm sick. First nastiness of the season: my throat is killing me and I've got some nasty yellow phlegm going on. And an interview tomorrow, which I'm thinking I'll cancel this afternoon just to play it safe. Going in for an interview all hungover on theraflu is not the greatest idea. Today, I'm sitting around in my bathrobe drinking hot tea with lots of honey, and forcing myself to eat raw minced garlic (with lots of water!) because that helps both to kick colds in the butt and also ward off vampires.

A couple of friends reminded me of the sick-brews you can make to help ward off colds or send them packin if prevention didn't do the trick. Here's the recipe I like to mix up:

YOU WILL NEED:
2 cups water (plus 1 cup for a second batch)
1 clove garlic
As much grated fresh ginger as you have, or powdered ginger in a pinch
Lemon juice
Salt
Cayenne pepper
Honey (or maple syrup if you're a hardcore vegan.)

THE METHOD:
In a small saucepan, boil the 2 cups water with just a dash of salt.
Chop up the garlic. You don't have to mince it, but get it in to chunks. Peel the ginger and chop that up too (if using powdered ginger, hold off on that). When the water is boiling, toss in the garlic and fresh ginger, and boil for five minutes.
Remove from heat and add about 1 teaspoon lemon juice (give or take--more never hurts), and a tablespoon of honey (the more the better, but I find a tablespoon is about right). If using powdered ginger, add a teaspoon of that too, and just a pinch of cayenne pepper. To measure the cayenne pepper, I usually take me 1/8 tsp measure and scoop up just half of that. It gives it a nice kick without giving you heartburn. Stir it up and let it cool for a few, then pour it carefully in to a mug. I usually try to avoid getting too many of the chunks in my mug, so some powder and shreds of garlic and ginger will be left in the pan. for a second batch, pour one cup of water in to the pan with the leftovers, boil it for another five minutes and add all the extras just to taste.

Drink it up, the hotter the better. If you can really pound it while it's still scalding hot, it will burn whatever's going on right out of you and it works like a charm. The cayenne will also keep you nice & sweaty which is also good for a cold. The honey is soothing and all the acids help scour you out.

Other things that are great when you're sick are kombucha, apple cider vinegar in water (about a tablespoon of AVC per glass) and lots of tea and water. I also devour honey like crazy because of the soothing effect; usually I put just a little in my tea but when I'm sick I help myself to gobs of it.

Might also make my first barley soup this afternoon, stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment